Tax for US Expat and US Citizens Living Abroad

Tax For a US Expat and US Citizens Living Abroad

US expats who choose to live abroad must still complete a tax return for the United States. When filing as an expat, it’s important to maximize foreign tax credits, take advantage of foreign-earned income exclusion and foreign housing exclusion, and that you work with a firm that understands the complex workings of inter-country tax credit computations.

At Akif CPA, international taxation is one of our key areas of expertise.  We will make sure you maximize deductions while ensuring no disclosure or required documents and forms are missed. Tax preparation is difficult enough, but when dealing with US taxes as a US expat living abroad, it’s important to rely on an accounting firm who can confidently handle your needs.


Maximize Credits!

Maximize Deductions!

As an international firm with offices in Houston and Toronto, our certified tax professionals can help you with US Tax compliance and tax consultancy for tax savings. We will make sure you maximize credits and deductions and file all of the necessary paperwork. We are here to help so contact us now.

Hear from Other Expats About their Experiences with Akif CPA

FATCA Reporting

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is required for all individuals whose assets total over $50,000.  All US expats and US citizens living abroad must complete and file Form 8938, but there are additional forms that must be filed depending on your income level, whether you are self-employed, employed abroad, or own your own business, and based on your assets. We are happy to answer any questions, so give us a call and we can walk you through what needs to be done in your specific case!

For Individuals Living Abroad

As a US expat or US citizen living abroad, you must must complete and file a federal tax return if you meet the minimum requirements and age. Not all states require tax returns to be filed by expats, but if yours does we can help! Keep in mind that if you are self-employed you will still be required to file a tax return.  If you have assets, estates, or trusts, we can help make sure you are compliant when you file.  We also offer audit assistance and help with late filings. 

For Businesses Owned and/or Operated Abroad

Business owners living and/or operating abroad are at risk for double taxation on your worldwide earnings if you are not careful. Your filing will be different based on whether you are operating as a sole-proprietor, partnership, or C-corp or S-Corp. That’s why we build long-term relationships with business owners who are US citizens living abroad.  Whether you need preparation services, an audit, or a late filing, we can help!

Ready to Get Started

Are you ready for a partner who cares about your business and success? Contact us
at our nearest office to you or submit a business query online.

We moved from the US to Canada and were looking for accounting advice. Mohammad and his team are very knowledgeable about the accounting rules in US and Canada. The team provides superior service and are experts when it comes to filing taxes. They are also very diligent and responsive in all communications. I highly recommend this team.

- Ankur Gupta