Tax for US Citizen or Green Card Holder in Canada

Tax for US in Canada
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Unlike the US whose taxation is based either on residency (Substantial Presence Test), green card holder and citizenship. Canada’s tax laws are based solely on residency. Like the US, however, taxes are imposed on worldwide earnings.  This means as a US expat, deeming your residency status in Canada is one of the first important steps.  Primarily one who spends more than 183 days in any calendar year is considered to be a Canadian resident. There are other factors that weigh in on this such as frequency of visits to Canada, duration of absence, the establishment of domicile in foreign countries as well as maintenance of home and finances in Canada. If you are a resident of both the US and Canada, then both countries tax you on your worldwide income which means improper tax filing can lead to adverse taxation due to double taxation.

Important Five Tax Tips for American Working in Canada

For US Expat Individuals in Canada

For any US resident or citizen living anywhere else in the world, income tax returns need to be filed in the US using the customary Form 1040. This can be filed either separately or jointly (if married).

  • If you are employed by a US company in Canada, then you fall under the Canada US Income Tax Convention. This means that your employment income is exempt from taxation by Canada unless it is above $10,000 per year.  If higher than $10,000, your income is exempt if:
    • The individual resided in Canada for less than 183 days in any Calendar year
    • The exemption is not borne by a Canadian citizen or a Canadian resident employer with a fixed base in Canada
  • If you are self-employed US citizen/resident in Canada, aside from filing Form 1040 and Schedule C in the US to declare your worldwide earnings there are other things involved. Based on your current residence, you are required to either pay the US’s self-employment tax (15.3% for incomes up to $118,500) or Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) premiums to cover your social security taxes. Don’t forget the US tax deadlines: April 15th for paying your tax returns and June 15th is an extension for expats to file with April 15th remaining the ideal date!

Whether you are considered employed or not in Canada is dependent on whether your primary workplace falls under the definition of “Permanent Establishment” as per the Canada-US Tax Treaty.

Preventing Double Taxation

As a proven resident of both countries, you are at risk for double taxation on your worldwide earnings if you are not careful. The Canada US Income Tax Treaty provides solutions for this by providing reduced rates of taxation on things like qualifying pensions, dividends, and income interest. Learn more about US Canada Treaty. Let us look at some other aids that help prevent you from being double taxed as a US expat in Canada!

  • FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) As a U.S citizen or resident alien having a tax home in a foreign country (i.e., place of business/employment permanently or indefinitely based in a foreign country) and meeting the criteria of either the Bona Fide Residence Test or Physical Presence Test, you can elect “Foreign Earned Income Exclusion“.
  • Foreign housing cost is also excludable for payments made by an employer either on your behalf or as a reimbursement for incurred housing cost. This amount is taxable foreign earned income. (Availing this may in some cases offset your earned income exclusion).
  • Foreign Tax Credits (FTC): If you are a US citizen or expat paying foreign income taxes, the same foreign income will become a US tax liability. To alleviate that burden of 2-country double taxation, you are provided with appropriate tax credits on your US tax liability.

For US expat retirees in Canada, there are programs such as Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS) that provide retirement relief. The relief can be accessed usually after the age of 65 and based on your circumstances may be subject to certain income limits.

Get more information if you are a Canadian working in US or working for US company from Canada. Canadian Employed in the US by Canadian CompanyCanadian residents providing self-employed personal services in the US. Independent Canadian contractors and Canadian corporations providing personal services in the US.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Client Reviews
Based on 92 reviews
powered by Google
Luz Tipaz
Luz Tipaz
16:06 13 Jul 21
Saim and his team are the best CPAs in town. I have been their client for years. All started when I needed help with... company structure with multiple companies and then accounting and Taxes. I have been very happy ever since. Thank you AKIF more
Maria perez
Maria perez
18:31 08 Jun 21
Me and my husband have been getting all of our personal Taxes, business Taxes, monthly bookkeeping, accounting and... payroll done with AKIF CPA. Recently, we had more stuff come up and had detailed analysis done on capital gains, single family rentals (SFR) and business disposition. You will only know how great this CPA company is until you have worked with them and given them a chance. Words can’t describe our experience. AKIF CPA gets the job done every time - very reliable, professional and more
Afnaan Amin
Afnaan Amin
22:14 02 Jun 21
Very good experience, we had unique situation in regards to cross border income as Canadians currently residing in the... US. Income on both sides of the border through completely different channels. Everything was very easy and completed timely, I also had lots of random questions and Mohammad provided top notch service along the way and even after we finished our taxes!! Highly more
Ryan Paton
Ryan Paton
10:56 08 May 21
I moved to the USA from Canada late 2018 as part of a promotion/relocation for work. For my 2019 returns, I used an... accounting firm recommended by the local Canadian social club in my city, which was a terrible experience. They were slow to respond to inquiries and would follow up in piecemeal requests which dragged out my return process over several months, often asking for information I had already provided.For the price I paid, I vowed to find better service. I found Mohammad online and decided to reach out. Mohammad was extremely responsive, took care of my US and Canadian returns as well as my wife's business returns in a timely manner. Overall, it was a very positive experience and I would recommend him to another in my more
Tuan Vo
Tuan Vo
01:59 20 Apr 21
I relocated to Texas from Alberta, Canada and needed a CPA to help me with my cross-border taxes as I was not happy... with the CPA that I used previously. During my interviewing process to find another CPA, I had good feedback from Mohammad as he was able to answer my questions regarding my unique tax situation with expertise, and importantly to me, in a timely manner. I decided to use his services for the current tax year and I have nothing but compliments for the work Mohammad provided. If you are in need of a professional cross-border CPA, I highly recommend reaching out to Mohammad more
See All Reviews