Solutions That Make Your Goals Possible

Moving to The U.S. with Canadian Investments

Sign Up For Our Weekly Newsletter
Reading Time: 6 minutes

Moving to The U.S. with Canadian Investments

Moving to the U.S. From Canada can be a strenuous task, especially if you have investments in Canada and does not know the right kind of people to take care of them. These investments usually include, but are not limited to:

  • Canadian Real Estate and Canadian Rental Property
  • Canadian Mutual Funds and ETFs
  • Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
  • Non-Registered Accounts
  • Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP)
  • Tax-Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs)
  • Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF)
  • Canadian Stock Options
  • Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
  • Locked-in Reregistered Plans (LIRA/LIF/LRIF)
  • Home Buyer’s Plan (HBP)/Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP),
  • Life Insurance Policies

Reviewing all your investments with an investment and tax advisor and knowing all your options can help you formulate a solid financial plan that is tax efficient. The earlier this process is initiated before moving to the U.S. the better it turns out for your settlement tax wise. Don’t forget to learn how to file your Canadian tax return while being in the U.S.

Check out Our Cross-Border Tax Services

Canadian Real Estate and Canadian Rental Property

Canadian citizens holding Canadian real estate for personal use after moving does not have to deal with yearly CRA tax filing obligations. On other hand, rules are very strict when it comes to selling as a Canadian real estate as a non-resident.

Non-residents are prohibited from buying mutual funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), and ETFs however, one can continue to hold the existing ones.

Non-residents holding Canadian rental property must remit 25% withholding tax from the rent and file with CRA on yearly basis. And when it time to sell, notify the CRA in 10 days and obtain T2062 clearance certificate.

Canadian Mutual Funds in Non-Registered Accounts

Non-residents are prohibited from buying mutual funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), and ETFs however, one can continue to hold the existing ones.

The ownership of Canadian mutual funds, ETFs, or real estate investment trusts (REITs) in non- registered or TFSA accounts puts one under the umbrella of “passive foreign investment corporation” (PFIC) tax reporting in the U.S. that carries punitive tax filing and higher tax rates.

Moreover, if not sold, these investments become a subject to the departure tax upon leaving the country and might have to Canadian capital gains tax.

Non-Registered Accounts in Canada

Non-registered accounts comprise a significant part of investments and must be dealt with properly to avoid any documentation related issues and trading restrictions. For example, holding an investment account located in Canada while being in the U.S might require you to provide your taxpayer identification information to avoid U.S withholding tax.

“Tax-Free Savings Accounts” (TFSAs)

The contribution to the “Tax-free savings account” (TFSA) is dependent upon Canadian tax residency. Hence, once you leave Canada you can no longer contribute to the TFSA. However, the account itself remains intact and all the assets, earnings, and withdrawals will still be non- taxable for “Canadian tax purposes”. But this tax-free status will not be applicable for the U.S income tax purposes and all income earned even not distributed will be taxable by the IRS. There will be added filing requirements besides the all income earned plan if your TFSA is considered a foreign trust.

Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP)

The U.S. equivalent of Canadian RRSP is “Individual Retirement Account” (IRA). However, the transfer of accounts from RRSP to IRA is highly discouraged and a few people keep their Canadian RRSPs always, even if they retire in the U.S.

Unlike Canada, since the income earned is taxed annually in the U.S, a tax deferral election is required to defer the recognition of income and tax. Although the U.S-Canada tax treaty allows the citizen to make tax deferral on the income annually on the federal level only, it is important to contact a tax advisor to find out if your resident state is adhering to tax treaty. For example, the state of California does not abide by the tax treaty deferral and will tax the income earned in the year you are a California state resident.

Three options to consider regarding your RRSP account before moving to the U.S: A complete withdrawal, converting to RRIF for distribution and to leave it alone. It is important to learn in detail about the options so you can make a sound decision according to your own tax situation.

A lump sum withdrawal from an RRSP as a U.S. resident carries a 25% withholding tax at the source. If you take intermittent withdrawals through RRIF, a lower withholding 15 %t ax rate of 15% tax is applicable. Reporting RRSP distribution on U.S. 1040 tax return is also a daunting task and you should learn how to report RRSP withdrawal to limit or eliminate double taxation.

Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIFs)

A large part of a similar arranging and expense issues as talked about for your RRSP will apply to your RRIF. However, like with an RRSP, one does not need to deregister RRIF after leaving Canada: all the arrangements can be kept intact. Moreover, as part of the “U.S-Canada tax treaty”, withdrawals from RRIF as a resident of the U.S. might be dependent upon a diminished Canadian non-resident retaining charge rate of fifteen percent, contingent upon the measure of installments.

Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

For a person residing in the U.S, the income added in the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), is not tax-deferred. Therefore, typically tax advisors recommend disposing of the RESP upon leaving Canada. The tax implications for the RESP are dependent upon the residency of the contributor as well as the beneficiary. For instance, the income added in the RESP including CESG, interest, dividends and all the recognized capital gains, is taxable annually for the U.S purpose. Learn how to report RESP income on the U.S. 1040 income tax return.

However, upon withdrawal, the amount is taxable only due to the Canadian purposes. This creates a “double-taxation” issue. If the contributor resides outside of the U.S. but the beneficiary resides in the U.S, the income earned will be taxed at a special rate upon withdrawal to the beneficiary. Moreover, an interest rate is charged based on the total amount distributed from the plan.

On the bright side, RESP is no longer considered foreign grantor-type trust thus holder of RESP is long required to file form 3520 and 3520-A. A big relief that was long overdue.

Check out Our Cross-Border Tax Services

Canadian Stock Options

Contrary to the popular belief, the Canadian non-residents are liable to the tax accrued from the employee stock options if the options are bought during their residence in Canada. Sometimes the tax is applicable even if the exerciser is not a tax resident of Canada. To report the benefit from the stock options, one will be required to file a “Canadian non-resident tax return”. Moreover, residing in the U.S. at the time of exercising the stock option also makes one liable to the “U.S. income tax”.

According to the “U.S-Canada tax treaty”, each country can only tax a portion of the accumulated benefit of an employee as long as the person was employed in that country. A simplified way to estimate the taxable amount is to find the ratio between the number of days a person was employed in the country during the duration of holding the stock and the total number of days that the person held the stock. Taxation of these stock options is a tedious process and a cross-border taxation advisor must be consulted to avoid any sort of inconvenience.

“Locked-in Registered Plans” (e.g. LIRA/LRIF/LIF etc.)

The tax implications for “Locked-in Registered Plans” barely differ from those of “non-Locked- in Registered plans” in both U.S. and Canada. The “locked-in Registered plan” is generally rigid, however, certain exceptions can be made in the case of government or common benefits enactment for non-residents of Canada, any monetary difficulties, or sickness leading to death.

Life Insurance Policies

An interest accrued as a result of investment in a “segregated fund life insurance policy” in Canada remains intact and the beneficiary is compensated at a fair market value which is a taxable amount. On the other hand, an interest accrued as a result of an investment in a typical

life insurance policy is rejected from the disposition rules in case of leaving the country. A good action would be to consult the cross-border accountant in case of a migration to the U.S. The Canadian insurance policy for U.S. tax purposes should be discussed in-depth with the accountant.

“Home Buyer’s Plan” (HBP)/ “Life Long Learning Plan” (LLP)

In case withdrawing the amount from “Home Buyer’s plan” (HBP)/ “Life-long Learning Plan” (LLP) upon leaving the country, the entire HBP, LLP amount will be payable. Failing to pay the withholding amount by the due date adds the outstanding amount to the calculation of the tax liability of the year of your departure from the country.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Based on 107 reviews
powered by Google
Annie Phillips
Annie Phillips
12:35 10 Oct 21
Turn around time was amazing on the project I needed done. When you don’t understand all the different forms... communication is key and you will get that here. They are there to explain what and why you need more
Meru Kapadia
Meru Kapadia
23:33 01 Oct 21
I usually don't write reviews much as everyone has different experiences, but definitely wanted to share the positive... experience I have had here and why I would recommend them to all my family, friends and co-workers.I got a referral for here from a friend, so thought of giving them a try over my old CPA firm. I have been going here for a couple years now and have to say they are top notch. They are always responsive and willing to work with me even when I am delayed. I generally like to ask a lot of questions and not once did I feel like they were annoyed by it and would very thoroughly and positively answer all my concerns with detail explanations. Even during the pandemic, they worked with me 100% virtual and it was seamless. Overall, I am very happy with this firm and will continue with them for the foreseeable more
Kevan Shah
Kevan Shah
21:45 01 Oct 21
I’ve been going to them for 3 years now for multiple of my businesses. I changed to them after I had problems with my... previous CPA firm and I’m so glad I did! Best decision I ever made for my businesses. They have saved me thousands of dollars over the years as well as deal with my immensely complicated tax filling issues. No matter when I call, they always help answer all my questions (and trust me I have a lot) and put my mind at ease on all my concerns. I feel as if I am family the way they take care of me. The quality of their work has not changed; very consistent and professional. It is an understatement when I say I highly recommend more
Maunil Shah
Maunil Shah
16:19 01 Oct 21
AKIF CPA is the best place for your tax needs! Saim has been easily available for my all my questions and concerns. ... Couldn’t ask for a better firm that provides excellent service and a familiarity with their clients. I always recommend family and friends to AKIF CPA!!read more
Shah Hussain
Shah Hussain
03:58 01 Oct 21
Hello AKIF CPA,I wanted to share my experience with you, your team and whomever may be reading this message. My most... humble thanks to you and your team for a being such great part of my success.You have done a fabulous job for us this year, and since you took over our books (during our most devastating times) you have literally taken weight off of our shoulders.Thanks for bringing everything up to date and also providing us with numbers or as you call it consultations, ahead of time so we could seal the holes.Great work!!!Shah more
Sumit Dalwadi
Sumit Dalwadi
04:57 30 Sep 21
The professionals at Akif have been absolutely amazing! Quick to answer all the questions I had and always available... to offer their more
Calvin R
Calvin R
20:21 29 Sep 21
I recommend these guys! I will be going back next year. They made everything simple and we understood what was... happening. There we issues with our taxes due to our previous accountant and these guys fixed everything. They answered our questions and service was always with a more
Ammoria Daniels
Ammoria Daniels
02:11 16 Sep 21
We contacted Akif with an urgent matter regarding corporate taxes. Akif immediately understood what was needed and... within days had everything ready to sign. The level of service we received was amazing and unmatched. Waqar expertise in trucking industry made our situation seamless. His communication was outstanding; I heard from him daily and could have been completed sooner if I was as fast as he was 😃 Highly recommended!read more
Joe Paneitz
Joe Paneitz
18:30 18 Aug 21
What an absolute pleasure to work with this CPA firm. My business is already seeing such a positive impact and growth.... I cannot believe I didn't connect with them sooner. This firm is helping in so many ways! 5 stars is an understatement! Thank you so much for your help AKIF CPAread more
Helptest ARCpoint Labs
Helptest ARCpoint Labs
15:02 18 Aug 21
The firm is quick, responsive, and has the latest technological software. Thus far, I have been with them for 3+ years... and will continue to work with them even after relocating. They make it easy even when I'm miles away. Would highly recommend more
Luz Tipaz
Luz Tipaz
16:06 13 Jul 21
Saim and his team are the best CPAs in town. I have been their client for years. All started when I needed help with... company structure with multiple companies and then accounting and Taxes. I have been very happy ever since. Thank you AKIF more
Maria perez
Maria perez
18:31 08 Jun 21
Me and my husband have been getting all of our personal Taxes, business Taxes, monthly bookkeeping, accounting and... payroll done with AKIF CPA. Recently, we had more stuff come up and had detailed analysis done on capital gains, single family rentals (SFR) and business disposition. You will only know how great this CPA company is until you have worked with them and given them a chance. Words can’t describe our experience. AKIF CPA gets the job done every time - very reliable, professional and more
Afnaan Amin
Afnaan Amin
22:14 02 Jun 21
Very good experience, we had unique situation in regards to cross border income as Canadians currently residing in the... US. Income on both sides of the border through completely different channels. Everything was very easy and completed timely, I also had lots of random questions and Mohammad provided top notch service along the way and even after we finished our taxes!! Highly more
Ryan Paton
Ryan Paton
10:56 08 May 21
I moved to the USA from Canada late 2018 as part of a promotion/relocation for work. For my 2019 returns, I used an... accounting firm recommended by the local Canadian social club in my city, which was a terrible experience. They were slow to respond to inquiries and would follow up in piecemeal requests which dragged out my return process over several months, often asking for information I had already provided.For the price I paid, I vowed to find better service. I found Mohammad online and decided to reach out. Mohammad was extremely responsive, took care of my US and Canadian returns as well as my wife's business returns in a timely manner. Overall, it was a very positive experience and I would recommend him to another in my more
Tuan Vo
Tuan Vo
01:59 20 Apr 21
I relocated to Texas from Alberta, Canada and needed a CPA to help me with my cross-border taxes as I was not happy... with the CPA that I used previously. During my interviewing process to find another CPA, I had good feedback from Mohammad as he was able to answer my questions regarding my unique tax situation with expertise, and importantly to me, in a timely manner. I decided to use his services for the current tax year and I have nothing but compliments for the work Mohammad provided. If you are in need of a professional cross-border CPA, I highly recommend reaching out to Mohammad more
See All Reviews

Crypto Tax & Accounting Newsletter Signup


Cross-Border Tax Newsletter Signup